Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Thylazine: The Australian Journal of Arts, Ethics & Literature: Issue No.12: My Arthritic Heart by Liz Hall-Downs

Thylazine: The Australian Journal of Arts, Ethics & Literature: Issue No.12: My Arthritic Heart by Liz Hall-Downs: "Byron Bay poet Jen Jacobs made this feisty point about the ill person's 'otherness' (with the added emphasis on non-visible disability):

'I look like I live in your world
I can pass as a well person - for a short time,
I'm good at pretending
... I no longer have automatic residence
in your country,
my citizenship is of another world entirely;
where pain is usual,
time and distance treat us differently, and
'how are you?' and
'what's wrong with you?' and
'are you better yet?'
are
very
rude
questions.'"

http://nellibellingen.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment